School Zone Flashing Warning Signals
Minimum criteria for Precinct 4 to install School Zone Flashing Warning Signals (FWS):
- A formal request for FWS installation from the respective school district must be submitted to Precinct 4 for evaluation.
- A traffic engineering study must be completed and approved by Commissioner’s Court for a reduced school zone speed limit and
- Review and approval of the traffic engineering study must be accomplished by the Harris County Engineering Department – Transportation & Planning Division.
Funding is limited and is typically prioritized to address the needs of public elementary and intermediate/junior high schools first.
*Note: Precinct 4 will evaluate a request for FWS systems from a private school system and consider the installation of a warranted FWS system, as funds are available, if the requesting entity (private school) is the property owner of record where the school is established and the requesting entity enters into an Agreement with Harris County to fund a significant portion of the construction cost.
Precinct 4’s “Sidewalk Policy” limits sidewalk installation from subdivision entrances to school property lines along a curbed major thoroughfare provided the proposed sidewalk connects to an existing sidewalk at the school property line. Sidewalk requests that do not comply with the Sidewalk Policy; however, do provide a safety component for children walking to school along a curbed thoroughfare may be considered provided:
- The sidewalk installation is the only viable means for accommodating the school related pedestrian activity and
- The requesting entity (local municipal utility district, homeowners association or school district) funds 50% of the project costs.
A requesting entity may proceed with sidewalk installation without Precinct 4’s participation and Harris County will accept the sidewalks for maintenance purposes should the improvements be built according to Harris County sidewalk specifications. Requests for sidewalk installation, complying with the Sidewalk Policy, can be submitted in writing via the Work Order Request Form.