School Zone Flashing Warning Signals
Minimum criteria for Precinct 4 to install School Zone Flashing Warning Signals (FWS):
- A formal request for FWS installation from the respective school district must be submitted to Precinct 4 for evaluation.
- A traffic engineering study must be completed and approved by Commissioner’s Court for a reduced school zone speed limit and
- Review and approval of the traffic engineering study must be accomplished by the Harris County Engineering Department – Transportation & Planning Division.
Funding is limited and is typically prioritized to address the needs of public elementary and intermediate/junior high schools first.
*Note: Precinct 4 will evaluate a request for FWS systems from a private school system and consider the installation of a warranted FWS system, as funds are available, if the requesting entity (private school) is the property owner of record where the school is established and the requesting entity enters into an Agreement with Harris County to fund a significant portion of the construction cost.
Precinct 4’s Sidewalk Policy is limited to the installation of sidewalks from subdivision entrances to existing sidewalks on school property along curbed major thoroughfares. Precinct 4 funding for sidewalk improvements is limited. Sidewalk requests that do not comply with the Sidewalk Policy may be submitted to Precinct 4 for consideration provided:
- The request is made by a local agency, organization or association,
- The requesting entity enters into an Interlocal Agreement with Harris County for the sidewalk improvements and
- The requesting entity takes over responsibility for maintenance once construction is complete.
All requests will be scored and ranked at the end of each calendar year. Projects will be initiated yearly based on scoring criteria, justification and funding availability. All entities that have submitted a completed application will be notified at the end of the selection process. A requesting entity may move forward with sidewalk installation without Precinct 4’s participation, provided all Harris County standards and specifications are followed. All projects, prior to beginning any construction, shall have the required county, state and/or federal permits as required. Requests for sidewalk installation must be submitted using the Precinct 4 Sidewalk Request form.