SECOND AMENDED BYLAWS
JESSE JONES PARK VOLUNTEERS
ARTICLE I. NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Jesse Jones Park Volunteers and may be referred to as JJPV.
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE
The purpose of the Jesse Jones Park Volunteers is to:
- support the Jesse H. Jones Park and Nature Center by assisting in the recruitment and training of volunteers,
- help educate children and the general public in natural and pioneer history,
- assist with the construction and maintenance of park trails and facilities,
- raise funds to help support the programs and development of the park, and
- provide support and assistance when requested by the park staff in any other area of endeavor in the park or relevant to the operation of the park.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1. Qualifications
A MEMBER shall be any person who (1) supports the purpose of the organization, (2) completes the JJPV application with all specifications, (3) pays any general dues that may be assessed by the organization and (4) donates time, effort, and labor to Jesse H Jones Park & Nature Center as follows:
- A Voting Member is any person who meets the qualifications of (1), (2), (3) and (4) as stated above and (5) is at least 16 years of age, and (6) annually contributes twenty (20) hours or more of their time, effort and labor to Jones Park by attending JJPV monthly meetings and/or participating in other programs and special events of Jones Park.
- A Participating Member is any person who meets the qualifications of (1), (2), (3), and (4) as stated above and (5) is under 16 years of age, and/or (6) annually contributes less than twenty (20) hours of their time, effort, and labor to Jones Park by attending JJPV monthly meetings and/or participating in other programs and special events of Jones Park.
- The General Membership includes all members in A) and B) above.
SECTION 2. Dues
Dues, if required, will be established by vote of the Voting Membership.
SECTION 3. Termination
Jesse H. Jones Park & Nature Center staff reserves the right to terminate the membership of any JJPV member should just cause be given. In these cases, the person or persons shall have the right to appeal to the JJPV Board of Directors.
ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS
SECTION 1. Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall consist of the President, the First Vice-President, the Second Vice-President, the Secretary, and the Treasurer. The Director of Jesse H. Jones Park & Nature Center or the Director’s designated representative will act in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors as a non-voting member of the Board. In the interest of continuity, the immediate past President will be a non-voting member of the Board of Directors.
SECTION 2. Term of Office
All elected and appointed officers shall hold office for one administrative year defined as September to August of each year. The new officers will be introduced at the regularly held August meeting and will assume their respective offices at the end of the August meeting. No person may hold the same office for more than two (2) consecutive terms, except when the Nominating Committee, having exerted its best effort, is unable to find a suitable candidate for said office.
SECTION 3. Powers of the Board of Directors
The board establishes and executes normal operations and activities of JJPV and implements all decisions of the membership. Policy decisions will be brought to the Voting Membership by the board.
SECTION 4. Duties of Officers
- President The President shall be the organization’s chief executive officer, preside at all meetings, and be an ex-officio member of all appointed committees. The President will prepare the agenda for the regular meetings of the Board of Directors and the general Membership, in consultation with the elected officers, and shall be the liaison of the JJPV with the park Director, Staff, and Harris County Commissioner’s Court.
- First Vice-President The First Vice-President shall assume the duties of the office of the President in the absence of the President, or if the President is unable to perform those duties. The First Vice-President will be responsible for programs at all regular JJPV monthly meetings. The First Vice-President will maintain an active program for the recruitment of new volunteers.
- Second Vice-President The Second Vice-President will act as training officer and trail guide coordinator, and as such is responsible for the establishment of training programs for new volunteers and continuing education for the general membership, as well as coordinating and scheduling trail guides.
- Secretary The Secretary shall record and keep the minutes of meetings, conduct correspondence as directed by the Board of Directors, and assist in the preparation and distribution of the Newsletter and any other mailings and schedules determined by the Board of Directors to be necessary to the efficient operation of the organization.
- Treasurer The Treasurer shall be responsible for all assets of JJPV, either monies or other fixed assets. The Treasurer shall collect dues, if applicable, or any other monies payable or donated to JJPV and will keep appropriate records of all collections and/or expenditures. The Treasurer shall be responsible for the timely filing of all reporting and/or financial disclosure documents necessary to maintain the organization in good standing with all appropriate governmental agencies whether local, state, or federal. The Treasurer shall maintain an accurate list of the Voting Membership as defined by these Bylaws.
Audit An audit of the Treasurer’s books and records may be initiated, at the discretion of the Board of Directors, every other administrative year.
SECTION 5. Appointed Positions
The President, with the consent of the elected officers, may appoint vacancies on the Board of Directors, committees and committee chairmen to implement the purpose of the organization.
ARTICLE V. MEETINGS
SECTION 1. General Membership
- Regular Meetings There shall be ten (10) regular monthly meetings of the general membership per year. Meetings will be held at 7 p.m. on the last Monday of each month at the Jesse H. Jones Park Nature Center. The Board of Directors may, by vote, change the time, date, or location of any meeting. Notice of such change shall be given to the general membership.
- Special Meetings Special meetings can be called with seven (7) days written notice to the membership. Initiation of such a call can be by petition from a quorum of the Voting Membership to the President or by a majority of the Board of Directors.
- Elections The August general membership meeting shall be designated and reserved for election of officers. Normal order of business is suspended until after election of new officers is complete.
SECTION 2. Board of Directors Meetings
The Board of Directors shall meet at least quarterly during each administrative year, with the first meeting for the year being in September, to aid in the transition of newly elected officers to the Board of Directors.
SECTION 3. Quorum
- A quorum shall be defined as a simple majority of the Voting Membership present. No vote shall be taken unless ten (10) Voting Members are present.
- A quorum of the Board of Directors shall be a simple majority of that body. Votes may be taken by telephone if necessary
ARTICLE VI. ELECTIONS
SECTION 1. Nominating Committee
The nominating committee shall be appointed by the President at the May general membership meeting and shall consist of three members not currently serving on the Board of Directors. The nominating committee shall exert its best effort to find suitable persons willing to serve on the Board of Directors. The Nominating Committee shall prepare a slate of candidates willing to serve, and announce their selection at the June meeting and printed in the Newsletter prior to the August general membership meeting.
SECTION 2. Voting
- Officers of the organization will be elected by secret ballot during the general membership meeting in August.
- A quorum of the Voting Members present and voting will elect the officers.
- Nominations will be open from the floor as well as from the nominating committee.
ARTICLE VII. AMENDMENTS
The Bylaws may be adopted, amended, or repealed by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Voting Membership at any general meeting with a quorum present, provided that written notice of any proposed change in the Bylaws has been distributed to the Voting Membership at least seven (7) days prior to that meeting.
ARTICLE VIII. RULES OF ORDER
Roberts’ Rules of Order, Revised, shall be the parliamentary authority for all matters of procedure not covered by the Bylaws or other procedures previously enacted by the organization.
ARTICLE IX. OTHER POLICY
Additional policies and procedures may be established jointly by the Jesse H. Jones Park & Nature Center staff and the JJPV Board of Directors and will be treated as addenda to these bylaws.
Adopted May 5, 1989
Amended August 31, 2009