A group of neighbors in the German farming community of Vollmer (later called White Oak) began meeting together for worship service in the 1860s. A sanctuary was erected and a cemetery was established on property purchased in 1866. The congregation was formally organized in 1872 as the St. John German Lutheran Church. Worship services were conducted in German until 1940. A sanctuary built in 1891 was relocated following the construction of a new facility in 1955. The congregation has been active for over 125 years. (1988)
4606 Mangum Rd.
Houston, TX 77092