Organized in 1869, the Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church has been a fixture in the First Ward for over a century. The first pastor of the church was Reverend David Wren. Services were held in a brush arbor until a sanctuary was built in 1873. The building was destroyed by the 1900 hurricane, but was later rebuilt and has been modified several times over the years. An elementary school, established by the church in the 1870s, later became part of the public school system. In 1927, the school was named for Richard Brock who was an early church member and city alderman.
1554 Gears Rd. at Adel
Houston, TX 77067