Harris County Precinct 4Historical Markers
Home Commissioner Cagle Community Assistance Community Centers Historical Markers Libraries Parks Press Releases Publications Roads and Bridges Senior Adult Program
Search

Translation
 
 

Humble

City of Humble

Humble was a pioneer oil boom town in the 1900s that originated as a crossroads community. Early records indicate the first settlers arrived in the Humble area during the early 1800s, and Joseph Dunman is believed to be the first settler who arrived in 1828. Pleasant Smith “Plez” Humble (1834-1912), for whom the town was named, settled in the area shortly before the Civil War (1861-1865). After acquiring land along the San Jacinto River, Pleasant began a ferry service where Hwy. 59 currently crosses the river. Pleasant also timbered lumber for railroad ties and mined gravel from his land; was a grocer and shopkeeper; served as justice of the peace; and opened the first post office in his home. City directories from 1883 and 1885 listed Pleasant as a fruit stand operator and wood dealer. In the 1900 census report his occupation was listed as an attorney at law. Other early settlers in the area included the Bender, Durdin, Isaacks, Lee, Slaughter, and Williams families. Economic bases were farms, sawmills, and timber. In March 1904, C. E. Barrett (1866-1926) began drilling for oil on a lease he took on Moonshine Hill, and it was in May 1904 that he discovered oil. On January 7, 1905, D. R. Beatty brought in the number 2 well from block 28 of the Long Subdivision, which yielded 8,500 barrels of oil a day and initiated the great oil boom. By the end of 1905, Humble had grown to a town of approximately 20,000 people. Named for the town, the Humble oil field produced 15,594,923 barrels of oil in 1905, which was the largest number of barrels in Texas for that year. In 1911, a group of operators, including Ross S. Sterling who later served as governor of Texas from 1931 to 1933, incorporated the Humble Oil Company, thus spreading the town's name into the annals of world commerce. By 1946, production from several wells in Humble exceeded the total for the famous Spindletop discovery in Beaumont, Texas on January 10, 1901. Known as the greatest salt dome field, Humble still has producing wells and the town for which it was named continues to thrive.

City of Humble    

Location
 

110 West Main Street
Humble, TX 77338

  GPS: Latitude: 29° 59.947'
Longitude: 95° 16.087'
  Key Map: 335 Y

First United Methodist Church

Humble (founded in 1886) was an oil boom town in 1907 when Reverend J. T. Browning of Houston began conducting Methodist worship services for area residents. Services were originally held in a building that previously housed a bottle factory. In 1908, the church was organized with 37 charter members. The following year, the congregation constructed a small frame structure as their first building that was later destroyed by fire. Subsequent church facilities have reflected the continued growth of the congregation and community. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836–1986.

First United Methodist Church    

Location
 

800 Main Street at Avenue G
Humble, TX 77338

  GPS: Latitude: 29° 59.782'
Longitude: 95° 15.554'
  Key Map: 335 Z

Humble Cemetery

The Humble Cemetery is believed to be the town’s oldest. The earliest documented burial is that of Joseph Dunman (1867-1879), who was believed to be one of the earliest settlers to the Humble area in 1828. Jane Elizabeth (Markham) Humble, wife of the community's founder, Pleasant Smith “Plez” Humble, is also believed to be buried here in an unmarked grave. The first legal record of the cemetery appears in a deed transferring the cemetery property from Jonas Altmont to trustees in 1914. Civil War veteran Houston Young and several World War I veterans are also interred in the Humble Cemetery. This cemetery serves as a reflection of the pioneer heritage of Humble, Texas.

Humble Cemetery Humble Cemetery  

Location
 

375 South Houston Avenue
Humble, TX 77338

  GPS: Latitude: 29° 59.594'
Longitude: 95° 15.486'
  Key Map: 335 Z

Humble Lodge No. 979 A. F. and A. M.

Near the turn of the century, the town of Humble was home to many masons who were members of lodges located in nearby towns. With help from the local justice of the peace, F. K. Wise, Humble area masons organized their own lodge in 1908. Humble State Bank president and future Texas Governor, Ross Sterling (1875-1949), provided meeting facilities in the bank building, which is now the current lodge site. After the bank burned in 1912, the masons bought the property and built a new lodge hall. The masons have been active in numerous civic programs over the years.

Humble Lodge No. 979 A. F. and A. M.    

Location
 

210 Main Street
Humble, TX 77338

  GPS: Latitude: 29° 59.880'
Longitude: 95° 15.881'
  Key Map: 335 Y

Lambrecht's Artesian Well

An oil well drilled at this site in 1912 yielded not oil, but free-flowing artesian water. The following year, German native Nick Lambrecht (1855-1920) purchased the property. Lambrecht served as justice of the peace and mayor during Humble's oil boom days in the early 20th century. In 1904, he installed a water system to meet the needs of the many oil field workers who came to town. Lambrecht's artesian well was used to supply water to bathhouses and piped to nearby homes. In earlier years, water had been hauled to town in barrels on horse-drawn wagons. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.

Lambrecht's Artesian Well Lambrecht's Artesian Well  

Location
 

Business F.M. 1960 (1st Street) at North Houston Avenue
Humble, TX 77338

  GPS: Latitude: 30° 00.107'
Longitude: 95° 15.305'
  Key Map: 335 V

Moonshine Hill

Early reports of natural gas seepages in the Moonshine Hill Settlement, a section of the Humble oil field, were not uncommon in the late 19th century. James Slaughter noticed such natural occurrences near the San Jacinto River in 1887. Several years later, he set up a drilling operation in the area with S. A. Hart, but it proved unsuccessful. Charles E. Barrett, a Houston retailer, began drilling on Moonshine Hill in March 1904 and discovered oil in May 1904. Walter Sharp, Ed Prather, and Howard R. Hughes of the Moonshine Oil Company were next to drill. In 1904, the Higgins Oil Company brought in a major gas well and the following year, the first successful oil well was drilled. Within months of the 1904 discovery and the first gusher on January 9, 1905, the population of Moonshine Hill increased to 10,000 and the town grew to include boardinghouses, hotels, livery stables, saloons, and stores. By 1909, there were several saloons, three grocery stores, a dance hall, drugstore, meat market, postal station, two-room schoolhouse, and a church. Despite three separate boom eras, the last occurring in 1929, Moonshine Hill declined as a community. Its brief existence, however, had a dramatic impact on the economic development of Humble and Houston. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836–1986.

Moonshine Hill    

Location
 

2735 F.M. 1960 East
Humble, TX 77338

  GPS: Latitude: 29° 59.963'
Longitude: 95° 14.032'
  Key Map: 336 T