For Usage of
Harris County Precinct 4
Community Centers and Activity Buildings
Inquiries Regarding Available Dates
Community and civic organizations can reserve meeting rooms in Precinct 4's Mangum-Howell Center and the Doss Activity Building* on a limited, space-available basis Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. To check an available date, please call or go to the community center or activity building* where the reservation/event will be held. Reservations made in person at a community center have priority over phone inquiries, and are handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Since the precinct does not charge constituents to use the rooms, only one reservation per family is allowed at Mangum-Howell Center and the Doss Activity Building in a one-year period.
and Doss Activity Building
2500 Frick Road
Houston, Texas 77038
*Reservations for the Doss Activity Building in Doss Park are handled by staff inside Mangum-Howell Center.
Private Reservation Hours
Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
In preparation of community holiday events, private reservations are not accepted at Precinct 4 community centers during November and December. However, the Doss Activity Building can be reserved on a limited, space-available basis Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m to 9 p.m. during November and December.
Details of Usage
To Confirm a Reservation
Within five (5) business days of making a tentative reservation with a center staff member, the reserver must appear in person at the facility to:
- Present a $125 damage/security deposit check, dated the day of the event, and made
payable to Harris County Precinct 4.
- Provide a photocopy of the valid Texas driver license of the person making the reservation.
- Initial, sign, and receive a copy of Harris County Precinct 4's policies regarding use of the community centers and activity buildings. This process may take up to 30 minutes.
NOTE: If the damage/security deposit is not received within five (5) working days of receiving a tentative reservation from a center staff member, the reservation is automatically cancelled. This releases the space for others; unfortunately, there is no grace period.
Return of Damage/Security Deposit Check After Function/Event
Before leaving the reserved facility: The reserving party must contact the community center staff on duty for a walk-through of the facility. The staff member will ensure the room is left in the same condition as existed prior to the function/event.
At the conclusion of the reservation, if the reserver has complied with all of the
reservation policies, the staff returns the damage/security deposit check. The check may also be returned by mail if desired.
The $125 damage/security deposit check is withheld when damage occurs from the result of a private reservation, or when alcohol is discovered at private events.
Cancellations must be made at least three (3) working days prior to the reservation date to ensure the return of the damage/security deposit. Cancellations not made within the three day period may result in forfeiture of the damage/security deposit.
Abuse of the facility or violation of these policies could result in forfeiture of deposit, denial of further use, or both.
- All tables and chairs must be put away, the room cleaned, and the premises vacated at the completion of a reservation. The rooms cannot remain set up for any purpose.
- No alcohol is allowed in any Harris County Precinct 4 community center, activity building, or park.
- Smoking is prohibited in all Harris County Precinct 4 community centers and activity buildings.
- Only persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun under the authority of subchapter H, chapter 411, of the Texas Government Code may carry a concealed handgun in a Harris County Precinct 4 community center, activity building, or park.
- Fireworks are prohibited in all Harris County Precinct 4 community centers, activity buildings, and parks.
- No person or group shall use any area of a Harris County Precinct 4 community center, activity building, or park for any purpose other than that for which it was reserved and designated.
- Use of these facilities for personal or financial gain is prohibited: No one can sell or market products on county property.
- Only the room reserved by the party is to be used. The lobby of the building is not included in the use of private reservations. The lobby is only for passing to and from the reserved areas.
- Weddings and/or renewal of wedding vows are not permitted in any Harris County Precinct 4 community center, activity building, or park. The facilities were not designed nor intended for the purpose of weddings.
- The reservation start and end time includes the set-up, event time, clean up, and walk-through with the center staff.
- Fund-raising activities are restricted to nonprofit organizations, and require prior written permission from Harris County Commissioners’ Court.
- Children under 18 years of age must be supervised at all times.
- Moonwalks, piñatas, and similar items are not allowed on the grounds of Harris County Precinct 4 community centers or activity buildings.
- Red and purple-colored beverages are not allowed in the community centers or activity buildings.
- Do not hang anything on the walls, nor tape anything to the walls, windows, doorways, blackboards, or tables.
- With the exception of dogs assisting the blind and visually-impaired individuals, no pets are allowed in the community centers or activity buildings. See Precinct 4’s Parks Rules and Regulations for pets in parks.
- Audiovisual equipment and sound electronics belonging to Harris County Precinct 4's Mangum Howell Center and Doss Activity Building are not available for private use. Personal equipment of the reserver or group member may be used.
- Music and sound must be kept at a reasonable level in consideration for the staff and others using the building.
Decorations of any kind are not allowed on the walls, cabinets, ceilings, doors, marker boards, or windows of any Harris County Precinct 4 community center or activity building. All personal decorations, displays, and equipment must be removed before leaving the community center or activity building.
The person who makes the reservation is responsible for all guests’ behavior at the community center or activity building. We recommend informing all guests of the precinct’s policies PRIOR to the function/event.
We ask that you and your party respect the county’s/center’s property and its displays, accessories, and decorations. Please restrict children from playing with any of the items on display in the lobby and other areas. Any damage caused to the center’s property by children or others in the party may result in forfeiture of the $125 damage/security deposit.
Depending on the type of function/event and the number of people helping with the clean-up, at least one (1) hour should be allotted for cleaning up. For example, if the reservation ends at 6 p.m., guests should leave by 5 p.m. to allow ample time for cleaning. Clean-up duties include the following:
- Sweep the floors, mop up spills, and remove black scuffmarks from the floor.
- Wipe and put away the tables and chairs (as instructed by the staff).
- Wipe off the countertops.
- Take out the trash (see comments below).
- “Police” the entrance, lobby, and rest room areas for debris, etc.
- Remove all balloon strings from tables and/or chairs.
Trash bags are provided by the community center. All trash must be removed upon departure of the community center or activity building and may be deposited in the park’s dumpster (not in barrels at the entrance or rear of the building). See the on-duty center staff member for the location of the dumpster.
Set-Up and Take-Down
Precinct 4 staff does not assist with the set up and take down, but will advise, if
necessary. The reserving party must furnish all needed equipment other than stovetops, a refrigerator, freezer, warming ovens, microwaves, ice machine, tables, and chairs.
The party/person holding the reservation must bring all supplies required for their function/event including:
- Cleaning supplies (dish towels and cloths, sponges, scouring pads, and all cleaning products)
- All paper products, including paper towels, aluminum foil, and plastic wrap
- Scissors, cutlery, and a can opener
- Serving pieces and utensils
- Dishes, glasses, cups, platters, pitchers, and ice buckets
- Coffee maker (coffee pot, filters, coffee, etc.)
- Salt and pepper shakers, sugar, bowls, and spoons
- Boom boxes, microphones, CDs, tapes, and extension cords
- Table coverings
- Hot pads, trivets, cutting boards, etc.
- Pens, paper, and pencils
Due to Harris County policy, the center’s staff is not able to supply any of the items listed above to private reservation groups. Please bring your own supplies.
- Reservations are scheduled for a five (5) hour period, which includes the function/event set-up, the actual function/event, the clean up, and walk-through with the Center staff.
- Groups may not come early to set-up, nor may they stay late to finish cleaning.
Specific Policies Regarding
Mangum-Howell Center and Doss Activity Building
- Room 102 accommodates approximately
200 people in a banquet-style setting and approximately 325 people auditorium-style. Table sizes available:
- 60" round or 72" rectangle
- Doss Activity Building
accommodates approximately 75 people in a banquet–style setting and approximately 125 people auditorium-style. Table sizes available:
- 72" rectangle
Kitchen (Room 102 and Doss Activity Building only)
- The kitchen area is for food distribution only.
- No cooking allowed.
- Ovens, microwaves, and stovetops are for warming only.
- All food must be catered or covered dish.
- One refrigerator and freezer are available for use.
Ice Machine (community center and activity building)
The ice machine is available for use in accordance with the following Harris County Health Department guidelines for safety:
- Wash hands before opening the machine.
- Preferably use rubber gloves.
- Always use the ice scoop, which is provided.
- Do not store food or beverages in the ice machine.
Please note: Should you require additional freezer or refrigerator space, please bring your own ice chests.
A Harris County Precinct 4 staff member is on the premises throughout your entire function/event. While the staff remains unobtrusive during the event, we retain the right to enter your party from time to time to ensure all regulations and policies are followed. If you have any questions or need advice, please feel free to ask the staff member on duty.
Harris County Precinct 4 programs serve people of all ages, regardless of
socioeconomic level, race, sex, religion, national origin, or physical ability.
For more information, please contact:
Harris County Precinct 4’s Community Centers and Senior Adult Program
1731 Hugh Road
Houston, Texas 77067