Volunteers Lise and Paul Gelinas serve up popcorn to SNAPP party-goers.
Without the support and commitment of hundreds of volunteers and businesses, Precinct 4’s community centers could not achieve the level of outreach and assistance they provide the community.
Whether it is your time, financial contribution, or a donation of items for holiday gift bags, school supplies, or other programs, Precinct 4’s community centers need your help to keep up with the growing demand to provide services to the community!
To follow is a brief sampling of programs that provide special services to the community:
Holiday Gifts and Parties
Precinct 4’s community centers host annual holiday parties for at-risk children and children in need, complete with holiday craft projects, refreshments, visits with Santa, and more.
- Mangum-Howell Center: SNAPP (Students Needing a Pat and Push)
A $20 donation helps spread holiday cheer to children in Aldine ISD elementary schools.
- May Community Center: WISH (Wishing Individual Students Hope)
A $20 donation provides children from Huffman ISD a holiday to remember.
In addition to the holiday parties, the two centers open their doors to the community to enjoy the holiday sights, sounds, and delights direct from the North Pole!
- Mangum-Howell Center’s “Santa’s Workshop” is where families go to enjoy beautiful decorations, a variety of interactive activities, and visit with Santa Claus.
- May Community Center’s “Holiday Open House” offers the community a magical holiday experience at their merriest event of the season.
Mangum-Howell Center also hosts a Holiday Food Drive to benefit those in need during the holidays.
School Supplies Drive
Back to School (Mangum-Howell Center) and Operation Backpack (May Community Center) provide children and families in need with necessary school supplies. These drives provide local students with the much-needed school supplies.
Seasonal Festivals, Fund-Raisers, and Special Programs
Nonprofit advisory councils at both of the Precinct 4 community centers are key to providing funds that support the many special events and programs offered annually.
- Mangum-Howell Center: Mangum-Howell Festival and Bunny Hop Roundup.
May Community Center: Huffman ISD Annual Rodeo Art Exhibit, Music In Our Schools, and Fall Festival and Pumpkin Patch.
Summer Kids’ Club Programs
Each June and July, the community centers offer interactive educational and recreational programs for area children. Everything from theater groups to magicians to crafts and games are offered at these weekly programs.
- Mangum-Howell Center: Fun4Kids Summer Program
- May Community Center: Fun4Kids Summer Program
For more information on these and other volunteer opportunities, please contact the Precinct 4 community center near you.
In Precinct 4, every volunteer opportunity pursued enriches lives and strengthens communities.