Community / Historical Markers

Northwest Harris County

St. John United Church of Christ

A group of neighbors in the German farming community of Vollmer (later called White Oak) began meeting together for worship service in the 1860s. A sanctuary was erected and a cemetery was established on property purchased in 1866. The congregation was formally organized in 1872 as the St. John German Lutheran Church. Worship services were conducted in German until 1940. A sanctuary built in 1891 was relocated following the construction of a new facility in 1955. The congregation has been active for over 125 years. (1988)

St. John Church St. John Church


Location

4606 Mangum Rd.
Houston, TX 77092 

GPS: Latitude: 29° 56.000' 
Longitude: 95° 16.514' 

Key Map: 451 G