Community / Historical Markers

Memorial (Inside Loop)

Bayou Bend

Bayou Bend consists of an American heritage collection displayed in a mansion built in 1927 by  William Hogg (1875-1930), Ima Hogg (1882-1975), Michael Hogg (1885-1941), and Thomas Hogg (1887-1949), the four children of the first native Texas Governor, James Stephen (Jim) Hogg (1851-1906) and Sarah Ann (Stinson). William (Will) Hogg was an attorney and businessman who originated student loan programs in numerous Texas colleges. He served as chairman on the Board of Regents at the University of Texas from 1914-1916 and developed River Oaks where Buffalo Bayou makes a noted bend. Michael (Mike) Hogg was a Texas legislator from 1927-1931 who joined his sister in establishing the Hogg Foundation for Mental Health at the University of Texas. Miss Ima Hogg founded the Houston Symphony in 1913 and the Child Guidance Center of Houston in 1929. Additionally, she served on the Houston School Board from 1943-1949. Devoted to education and preservation, Ima Hogg provided Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site in West Columbia and Winedale Historical Center in Fayette County. Miss Hogg and her brothers used their home, set on 14 acres of natural beauty and developed gardens, to house paintings and American memorabilia which entertained national and international personages. The Hogg collection spans three centuries from about 1620 to 1870, containing several thousand objects installed in 28 period room settings. In 1957, Miss Hogg donated Bayou Bend and its treasures to the Museum of Fine Arts of Houston.

Bayou Bend

Bayou Bend

Bayou Bend

 

Location

1 Westcott Drive
Houston, TX 77007 

GPS: Latitude: 29° 45.540' 
Longitude: 95° 25.307' 

Key Map: 492 L

 


Camp Logan

Soon after the U.S. entered into World War I in 1917, the U.S. Army established 34 training camps to prepare troops for warfare. Camp Logan is one such training camp that was named after General John A. Logan, a Mexican War and Civil War veteran that also served as a U.S. Senator from Illinois. Camp Logan was established on July 18, 1917. Encompassing 7,600 acres of land, the facility consisted of the main camp, auxiliary remount depot, rifle range, artillery range, and drill grounds. During construction, members of the 3rd Battalion, 24th Infantry (black troops commanded by white officers) were assigned to the camp as guards and were stationed about one mile to the east. On August 23, 1917, black soldiers carried out an armed revolt in response to Houston's Jim Crow laws and police harassment. The revolt, the camp's most publicized incident, was known as the "Houston Mutiny and Riot of 1917." Troops receiving training at Camp Logan included the 33rd Division (composed of the Illinois National Guard) a part of the 93rd Division, and other regular army units. Following training, the troops went to battle in France in 1918. Camp Logan closed on March 20, 1919. A portion of the land later became Memorial Park, named in tribute to the soldiers who fought in Europe.

Camp Logan


Location

Arnot and Haskell St. in Memorial Park
Houston, TX 77007 

GPS: Latitude: 29° 46.207' 
Longitude: 95° 25.596' 

Key Map: 492 F

 


Jefferson Davis Highway, No. 6

The United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) conceived of the Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in 1913. During that time, it was common for private organizations to identify a route, provide a name for it, and promote its use. As states developed highway agencies, the name was officially adopted and they participated in the placement of monuments with the UDC. The Texas State Highway Commission designated the highway from Orange to El Paso in April 1925 as “a link in the transcontinental highway known as the Jefferson Davis Highway.” In 1927, a boulder at Brownsville was erected marking the location where Jefferson Davis and his Mississippi troops landed in 1846 during the war with Mexico.

Jefferson Davis Highway, No. 6

Jefferson Davis Highway, No. 6

Photos provided by the Harris County Historical Commission.

Location

U.S. Hwy. 290 and 8100 Washington Ave.
Houston, TX 77008 

GPS: Latitude: 29° 46.850' 
Longitude: 95° 26.101' 

Key Map: 492 B

 


Vollmer Cemetery

The Vollmer Cemetery has approximately 30 grave sites with several inscriptions including Henry (1821-1878) and Kate (1820-1895) Vollmer. Other families represented are Clay, Hillendahl, Niemann, Sauer, Thiel, and Hilton. (Recorded by the Houston Genealogical Forum in 1993.)

Vollmer Cemetery

Vollmer Cemetery

Photos provided by the Harris County Historical Commission.

Location

6618 Cindy Lane
Houston, TX 77008 

GPS: Latitude: 29° 47.725' 
Longitude: 95° 25.596' 

Key Map: 452 W

 

Tip: Located behind a wooden fence and locked gate in the Timbergrove Manor subdivision.